Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Lesson 8: Expressing Wants/Desire for something or to do Something



In English, we use "want" to express our need and desire to do something or for something. In Chinese we use 要 yào or 想 xiǎng. There are not much different in the usage. However, when you use 想 xiǎng, it shows more desire than just wanting for something. Also 想 xiǎng can only be followed by verb.

For example: I want to drink
we can say...

我要喝水
wǒ yào hē shuǐ

or... we can also say...

我想喝水
wǒ xiǎng hē shuǐ


As for this sentence: My younger brother want a bowl of rice.

We do not normally say:
我的弟弟想一碗饭
wǒ de dì di xiǎng yī wǎn fàn

we will say...

我的弟弟要一碗饭
wǒ de dì di yào yī wǎn fàn

When it comes to the negative form, we use "does/do not want" and translated as 不要 bù yào or 不想 bù xiǎng (which meaning is leaning towards: "do not feel like ..."

For example:
I do not want to drink
我不要喝水
Wǒ bù yào hē shuǐ

When you say:
我不想喝水
Wǒ bù xiǎng hē shuǐ

It means that "I do not feel like drinking water", slightly different meaning from "I do not want to drink water."


How about the following sentence?
My mom doesn't want a bowl of rice

Yup, because mom wants "something - noun" and NOT wants "to do something - verb", that's why it is more appropriate to use bù yào, instead of bù xiǎng

我(的)妈妈不要一碗饭
Wǒ (de) mā ma bù yào yī wǎn fàn


Try translating the following sentences:
1. I want to see your teacher
2. My elder brother wants a bike
(remember to include the measure word for bike! Identify it on Pleco)
3. Dad and mom want to go out tonight 
(Note: In Chinese, Adverb of time is used in the beginning of the sentence) 
4. My younger sister wants to eat spaghetti
5. My dog wants that ball!

Answer to be revealed in next post!

Regards,
Linda Tan



No comments:

Post a Comment