Wednesday, March 15, 2017

"Perfect" tense in Chinese

Again, in Chinese there is no change in the form of the verb to identify the time when an activity/event takes place. We normally will add an adverb of time as well as adding word (s) before/after the main verb.

As we know, to identify a continuous/progressive tense, we use the word zài,正zhèng,正在zhèngzài before the Verb

Example:
1.      他吃肉
Tā chī ròu                   
He eats meat

2.      他在吃肉
Tā zài chī ròu 
He is eating meat

3.      昨天我来的时候,他在吃肉
Zuótiān wǒ lái de shíhòu, tā zài chī ròu         
Yesterday when I came, he was eating meat

Today, we are going to discuss about “perfect” tense.

There are a few ways to show that certain activity/event has or had happened:
1.      Using 已经。。。了yǐjīng… le
Le should be placed after the verb. le can be used with/without the word已经yǐjīng”. However, 已经 yǐjīng can’t be used without le

Example:
She has eaten.
他吃了 / 他已经吃了
Tā chī le or tā yǐjīng chī le

I have gone to Beijing
我去北京了 /  我已经去北京了
Wǒ qù Běijīng le / Wǒ yǐjīng qùBěijīng le

2.      Using guò
g should be used after the verb. The usage sometimes can be combined with le. However, without le, guò itself indicates that certain events has taken place.

Example:
I have eaten this before.
我吃过这个
Wǒ chī guò zhège.

I have been to Beijing before. (been here means that I have “gone”/”visited” there before)
我去过北京。
Wǒ qù guò běijīng le.


Depending on the context of speaking, at times, there is actually slight difference in the meaning of the sentences using已经yǐjing.. le and using guò.

Let’s see the difference.

When I say:
-          我去过北京 wǒ qù guò Beǐjīng --> It means that I had been to Beijing before, the time when it happened can be last month, 2 years ago, etc and I am no longer in Beijing now.
-          我去北京了wǒ qù Beǐjīng le--> This sentence means that I have gone to Beijing and now I am still in Beijing.

When I say:    
-          我吃过这个 Wǒ chī guò zhège  -->  it means that I have eaten this before. The activity of eating not necessarily had just happened at the moment of speaking, it can be 5 minutes ago, it can be yesterday, it can be 2 years ago, the point is that “I have tasted this thing before”
-          我吃了这个 Wǒ chī le zhège --> It means that I have just finish eating this dish or not too long ago I have eaten this.

However, in the following sentences, there is not much difference in meaning:
-          我看了这部电影 Wǒ kàn le zhè bù diànyǐng.
-          我看过这部电影 Wǒ kàn guò zhè bù diànyǐng.

Both of the sentences above means that “I have watched this movie before”, the slight difference maybe in the time when the event of “watching” happened. The impression that people will get is that when you use guò, it feels that the event has happened quite a while ago or not recent, although it might not necessarily true.

The negative sentence for perfect tense is formed by adding 还没 háiméi before the verb or or  méi + Verb + guò.

For example:
I haven’t eaten this dish yet                wǒ háiméi chī zhèdào cài
--> Means that I haven’t eaten this dish yet, but I didn’t say that I had never tried it before. I might have or haven’t tasted the same kind of food before

I haven’t eaten this before                  wǒ méi chī guò zhèdào cài
--> Means that I haven’t tried/tasted this kind of dish before

Another example:
She hasn’t worn her skirt yet              tā háiméi chuān tā de qúnzi
--> Means that she has put on her shirt but not her skirt.

She hasn’t worn this skirt before        tā méi chuān guò zhètiáo qúnzi.
--> Means that the skirt is still new as she has never worn it before


Try translating the following:
1.      My little brother has graduated
2.      Her office had been renovated before.
3.      My uncle has taken my grandma to the hospital
4.      They hasn’t called me yet.
5.      They had never called me before.
6.      Have you read this book before?
7.      Has she returned your book already?
8.      His Wife has prepared the breakfast

Regards,
Linda Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment